Friday, June 04, 2010

Reverse...

Do you ever wonder where the creative urge comes from? One minute I’m happily knitting away on some favouritey cloths and suddenly I cast them aside to start a cotton hat in reverse from the top down. Here’s what it looked like just after I’d completed the increase rows and switched to my circular needle...


Not very neat, I agree. I was knitting happily along on my double-pointed needles when suddenly my eyes got all blurry from vertigo and I lost count of how many increases I’d made (make a note – always use a row counter). I should have corrected the error right then but the thought of tinking back on dpns was scary enough to keep me moving forward…


I used the Noro One-Skein Hat pattern (sorry I can only find a Ravelry link to the pattern). I knit my hat with a skein of Sugar ‘n Cream in Dark Pine colourway and a set of 4.5mm (US7) dpns and one circular needle. I also increased to 96 stitches as my head circumference is ginormous…


Meanwhile the teddies had a meeting...


and decided Buster looked better in the hat than I did…


Other than a few issues (all emanating from my lack of skills, not the pattern) I managed to complete my first top down hat. I love knitting this way, especially being able to try the hat on before it was finished – that was cool. So, having said all that, once I’d finished the last row and cast off, I knew I wasn’t going to be happy with the decreases and I also knew my brain was too soggy to cope with the counting issues again, so I rewound the yarn and knit two of my feather & fans…


You are probably thinking what an idiot I am and you would be right. Nevermind though, I have two new cloths for Canada Comforts and although I'll never be a wizard knitter, I haven't lost my enthusiasm for learning something new.

Little gray squirrel enjoying a snack break...


Now it’s time for me to take another long nap, dear reader, so I'll wish you a peaceful week and hope to see you soon.



“A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.”
~ Leonard Louis Levinson