Friday, July 04, 2008

4 x 4...


I know you want all the details for this extraordinarily gorgeous neck cowl, dear reader, so here’s how I did it ^.^

INGREDIENTS:

. 1 ball Patons Astra colour Fun ‘n Games or any DK/sport weight yarn you prefer. Patons Astra variegated has 133 yards (122 metres) and I used almost every speck…

. size 4.5mm (US7) 16” circular needle (you could also knit this back and forth on straight needles; I think you would add an extra stitch each side to accommodate the sewing up)

. furry companion (optional)


ROAD MAP:

Cast on 96 stitches very loosely and knit in 4x4 rib (knit 4, purl 4) all the way around, forever and ever or until you have just enough yarn to cast off your stitches very loosely. If you tend to knit tightly, I suggest you go up a needle size or two for the cast on and cast off, otherwise you might smush your face when pulling the cowl over your head.

My cowl is 9 inches in height and fits over my ginormous head (23”) with ease, even with my glasses on. It’s snuggly around my neck, not too tight and not too loose. (I just realized that my nose is getting bigger as I age...and we won’t even talk about the bad hair day...look at the pretty cowl!)…

This pattern is adaptable to a bazillion different stitch patterns. You can change the rib count to accommodate the number of stitches; you can cast on a different amount of stitches to make it smaller or bigger, or knit it longer or shorter; it’s all up to you. My directions are just a guideline for your creativity...


Now wear with happiness, knowing your neck is warm and cozy and you just used up one stray ball of yarn from your stash. If you’re in the midst of a heat wave, you can still knit one and save it for a winter gift for yourself, a loved one, charity, etc., and if you're in a cold climate, you can throw it on right now...



Another sample, worked in Patons Classic Wool, Harvest colours (same number of sts. and needle size)...







For the non-knitters, we have baby hydrangeas...


and some are showing their blue colours...



On that note, I will wish you a peaceful week, dear reader, and hope to see you next Friday.




"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality."
~Albert Einstein