Friday, April 06, 2007

Little Bits...

You know those little bits of cotton you end up with after knitting bunches of cloths? I gathered together some blue, mauve and white strands and knit me a placemat...



I know you're going to ask for the pattern but as usual I haven't written it down (bad knitter). I'll give you the basics and you can go from there.

You'll need about 2 yards for the cast on and just over 1 yard for each row. I think I started with 69 sts. I do know I used 4.5mms (US7). Leave a 4 or 5" tail of yarn at each end.

Cut the yarn and choose another colour, leave the same length of yarn each end and seed stitch across or any stitch you prefer (you'll want to cast on an uneven number of stitches for the seed stitch). Repeat this process until you have the placemat size you like then cast off. Knot yarn ends securely. You can knot one, two or as many strands together for the look you desire.

Now get out your scissors and trim those ends to the length that pleases you. I went with just a mere fluff of fringe. I've washed the placemat several times and it's still looking good.

Here's a close-up of the fringe...



and being test driven…



I'm sure I've missed some important detail in the making of this hybrid placemat, so if you have any questions, fire away.


Look what I’ve got…

my buddy built me a sock model. I’ll tell you more about this next week.

Whenever K travels on his bike, he takes along a teddy I created once upon a time. Teddy is packed away in the pannier, safe from dogs and inclement weather, but he comes out when the bike stops. I like to think Teddy is enjoying all the fun and adventures I would be sharing if I could travel.

This photo was taken a few years ago but they both look much the same today…



Happy Easter and I hope to see you next Friday.




“Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”
~Archbishop Desmond Tutu