Friday, February 19, 2010

Scarfy...

After a bazillion attempts at making something different, I managed to knit a Scarfy Come Home (this links directly to a pdf file; you can also find Scarfy on Ravelry...


I had 3 small leftover skeins of white cotton in my stash, adding up to approx. 137 metres (150 yards). I cast 20 sts. onto my 5mms (US8) and followed the pattern – sort of – until I ran out of yarn. The blocked size is 10 cm (4 inches) x 140 cm (55 inches)…


I changed the edges because I couldn’t figure out how to start a row with a YO. The yarn would slip off the edge of the needle and I was left without a YO (hoho) and when I finally did manage it, the edges looked untidy, so instead I knit 2 sts. each end of every row and then the pattern sts. Oh, and I forgot to purl the YOs on the second row because I am an IDIOT and cannot read directions, so each row is full of knit YOs. Nevermind, it's my Scarfy and I like it...


I like it so much, I will probably knit another one…and another one...until we are all sick of little Scarfy…


A free form Inukshuk created from driftwood on the beach…


February sunrise (you can’t see it in this photo but moments before I snapped the picture, the rising sun created a long vertical streak of light that intersected a horizontal line and it looked like a celestial cross; sometimes the most breathtaking moments are the ones we don’t capture on film)…


Now it’s time for a cup of tea with teddy and a long nap, then another attempt at playing badly with yarn. I’ll wish you a peaceful week, dear reader, and hope to see you next Friday.






“I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.”
~ George Washington Carver