Friday, October 24, 2008

Scrubber...

I have another easy pattern to share, dear reader. Several months ago someone requested a back scrubber to use when camping, so I came up with this simple design…


I used a smaller size needle (3.75mms/US5) so the garter stitch bumps would give a nice loofah effect. The scrubber took 110 yards (100 metres) of Sugar 'n Cream cotton, so you can easily make a decent size from one skein…


Finished size:
approx. width: 4-1/2 inches (11cm)
approx. length: 22 to 24 inches (55 to 60cm) (with handles attached)

Cast on 25 sts. with 3.75mm (US5) needles, leaving a longish tail of yarn for sewing later. Garter stitch (knit every row) for 18 to 20 inches (46 to 51 cm) or longer if you want. Bind off, leaving another longish tail for sewing.

Handles (make 2):
Cast on 50 sts. Knit 3 rows and bind off.

Finishing:
Now, fold over approx. one inch of the top of the scrubber and tuck 1 inch (2.5cm) of the handle inside. Sew several stitches through both the scrubber and the handle, making sure they are securely fastened together, then continue sewing along the edge where the folded piece of scrubber material meets the main part towards the opposite side and secure the handle on that side….


Sew the second handle to the other end of the scrubber in the same way and you are done...

Finished scrubber will stretch easily when in use…


I hope you can understand my convoluted directions; if you have any questions, please email me and I'll do my best to help.

Spenser thought I had knit him a cool sweater…


Grey squirrel is happy with the service here...


I love how he holds his paw against his chest, as if about to make an important announcement. Both the grey and black squirrels are making their way to our back door each day, hoping to stock up before the colder weather arrives. If only they would hide the peanuts when the crows aren't watching; I've seen several crows dig up the nuts seconds after the squirrels have buried their loot in the grass.

Well dear reader, that's all for today, so I will wish you a peaceful week and hope to see you next Friday. Take care.




"Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are."
~Arthur Golden