Friday, May 08, 2009

Towel Day...

May 25th is Towel Day but I thought I would celebrate early, seeing as I've been busy using up the last of my cotton bits to make these Leftover Towels (without the button tab)...

***(You can also use the Kitchen Cotton Dishcloth pattern at Dishcloth Boutique or any pattern you care to substitute).***

I have a cunning plan for knitting up my towels. First I sort by colours until I have somewhere around 110 m / 120 yd of yarn (this batch consists of Sugar ‘n Cream leftovers in Violet Veil, Lavender Ice and Summer Prints…


My finished towels are approx. 270cm x 420cm (10-1/2” x 16-1/2”) but they vary up or down in size depending on how much yarn I use...

The yarn pieces range in length from 12” / 30 cm to the longest which is 30 yd / 27 m, with varying lengths in between. I’m casting on anywhere from 50 to 56 sts. to my 4mm (US6) needles and knitting until I run out of the designated yarn (and yes, there are lots of little ends to weave in at the finish line, but I quite enjoy the process..there is no rush, after all)...

(***Edited to Add: Since I first started knitting these towels, I've discovered that if I double knot the yarn bits together and then cut them close to the end, the join is invisible when using this particular pattern. The knots seem to burrow right into the knitting and become part of the design. I've washed these towels several times and so far the knots have held together just fine, so no need to spend countless minutes weaving in ends, unless of course you enjoy doing that).***

We had a staring contest and gray squirrel won...


K took this photo of the Malaspina Galleries on Gabriola Island…


I might have more towels to show you next week, unless of course I change my mind and start a scarf or a hat or a cloth or…


Either way, I’ll wish you a peaceful week, dear reader, and hope to see you next Friday.



“A peacefulness follows any decision, even the wrong one.”
~Rita Mae Brown