Friday, July 15, 2005

Wizards, Muggles & More...



Muggles and wizards around the world are waiting for tomorrow’s release of the 6th Harry Potter book – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I have a copy coming to our house. K will read it and I’ll wait patiently for the audio edition. Apparently JIM DALE has already recorded the BOOK SIX AUDIO version and hopefully it will hit the local libraries soon.

Harry Potter Knits…

I don’t think he does but Hermione definitely knits. There are patterns available for the HOGWARTS SCARF and the newer PRISONER OF AZKABAN SCARF. You can also knit a Harry Potter BOOKMARK to hold your place in the newest book.

Tall Ships…

They came visiting Vancouver last week and K took some awesome photos of the event. Due to popular demand I'm now uploading some of my photos from blogger so they can be clicked on for a larger format. I have to use a different approach for resizing my photos so we’ll see how this goes. It just depends on my mood and energy, you know…






The Honey Bee sweater is finished and here's Mr. Womble doing a fine job of modelling for us:

Front view:


and back:


I knit this longways scarf from my friend's donated yarn stash. The photo is a little fuzzy:


The pattern is easy peasy:

Chunky weight yarn (I used Shetland Chunky) approx. 120 - 140 yards for main colour (blue) and 75 yards for centre colour (red variegated, size 8mms (US11). CO 175 sts. and garter stitch for 8 rows, seed stitch 10 to 12 rows, garter stitch 8 rows, bind off loosely. Then go eat some chocolate.

The finished scarf was 5" x 62" but your mileage will vary depending on the number of rows and stitches you choose. Don't take this as gospel according to me. I didn't make notes and I'm going by memory so you could end up with an odd shaped scarf if you follow my directions exactly.

Mystery Flowers...I have no idea what these blooms are but they sure attract the honey bees to our garden:



K rode to Queen Elizabeth Park one day this week and Teddy went along for the ride. Here he is enjoying the scenery:


If you've made it this far, you'll be happy to know we've come to the end of our story. Whew. Sarah says goodbye until next Friday. I hope your week is a good one.




'And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.'
~Roald Dahl, author