Friday, July 22, 2005

Christmas In July...

We are only 156 days away from that most magical of holidays. Time to watch Elf again. I'm already listening to my Christmas music year round.

Sarah is celebrating the upcoming season with bows in her hair and a jingle bell on her foot...

The patterns for these bows and bells can be found at KNITTING PATTERN CENTRAL along with oodles of other holiday designs that use up the smallest yarn bits.

Another excellent link for Christmas-themed knitting is the KNITLIST website. You can pick up lots of helpful knitting information here. You can also subscribe to the yahoo group. I’ve been a member for the past 5 years and I’ve learned a great deal from the knitters.

Yarn Heaven...

Look what arrived at our house this week from my knitter friend. Our postal carrier was laughing because I was so excited when he dropped off this humungous box of yarn. Sarah was in shock when she saw how much there was. She hasn't recovered yet:


Here's some of my storage bins with the piddling amount of yarn I had before the big parcel arrived. See my pathetic blue yarn stash in the lower right corner?


Here's what my blue stash looks like now:


Weehoo!!! Whenever I have a moment of energy I grab a skein and play with my ball winder. I'm churning out lots of colourful yarn muffins.

I finished another stash-buster scarf. This one used up most of my blue yarn. Here it is still on the needles, all 221 stitches. Thank goodness for 32” circs:


I managed to cut off part of the fringe in the photo but you get the idea. A friend walked away with the scarf shortly after I took this pic:


The book Scarf Styles by Pam Allen of Interweave Knits begins with this comment:

“A scarf on the needles is the comfort food of knitting.”

Oh yes, for me too. Some days all I can do is knit in garter stitch, back and forth, and a scarf is the perfect medium.

These beauties are part of the hanging basket K bought several months ago. They are on the side of the basket that faces away from our kitchen so I only see them when I walk around our yard:

I forget the names of these little blue flowers but they smell like cotton candy:


So, dear readers, we've come to the end of another long-winded post.

Sarah and Teddy say goodbye for another week. See you next Friday. Don't forget to start working on your Christmas shopping list. ps…I have been very good this year...




"Christmas--that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance--a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved."
~Augusta E. Rundel