Friday, May 22, 2009

Green, Green...

We had a late growing season this year, but green is now everywhere in our garden. The black currant bushes smell so sweet…


There are no buds on the hydrangeas yet but the leaves are healthy…


This is a photo I took last year of my honeysuckle vine (upper right corner)…


We planted the vine about 15 years ago. One day recently I went to give it the usual watering and all the leaves and flowers were dead. I’m not sure what happened, if it was just old age or some other reason, but I do miss my honeysuckle blossoms.

I knit another leftover towel and used up all my greens…


Fir buds aplenty...


This week we bought a small batch of green grapes and they were so incredibly sour, I could think of nothing else to do with them except see if one of our visitors might enjoy a taste. Sure enough, this little mom-to-be started eating one right away, and she didn't scrunch up her face once...


And now for something non-green – a white pigeon amongst all the grays…


I hope this little one stays tucked in amongst the flock because it sure stands out in the crowd, and there is a resident hawk who frequently dines on pigeons in our backyard. You would think they would be wary of returning to the same spot where one of their friends was chomped on earlier, but no, they jump right back in about an hour later and start pecking at the seed spilled from the bird feeders. I don't think pigeons worry too much about the future.

And so dear reader, I’m going to enjoy a big mug of hot chocolate and not worry about the future either. I’ll wish you a peaceful week and hope to see you next Friday.



“Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it.”
~Mark Twain