Friday, October 21, 2005

Cats...

I’ve been knitting cats, at least they are supposed to be cats. My finished kitties do not resemble the real thing but hey, that's the beauty of creating something from scratch - you can say you meant it to look that way.

Here’s my first attempt at knitting an orange-striped tabby:



The furry kitty in the background has been a member of this household for about 15 years. She has a little noise maker inside her tummy and when you turn her over, she purrs. She’s the most popular soft toy with the kids who visit. I pulled out her whiskers (ouch) because they were made of some kind of sharp plastic and when the little ones cuddled her, it didn’t make for happy times.

Here’s a side view of the tabby:



I think the pattern for the KNITTED KITTY has an error in the head directions? After decreasing and increasing the stitches, I'm thinking the pattern should read "knit 14 more rows" then cast off. There is no separate pattern on the site so I had to copy and paste the directions into a word document and save to my hard drive.

Here's my second attempt at kitty cuteness. Notice the smoochy lips on this one:



A very svelte kitty, no?


Ghostbuster Patterns…
Halloween is just around the corner. You can find lots of pumpkin patterns and ghostly knits at KNITTING PATTERN CENTRAL.


A Backyard Visitor...

One afternoon while I was napping I heard a loud chittering noise outside the window. I pulled the curtains aside and here's what I saw:


The branches are only inches from our window and I could have reached out and touched him, he was that close. We stared at each other for a few seconds, then I tootled over to the next room for my camera, expecting him to be long gone. I think he was scared witless over the encounter because he remained in that spot the whole time I was watching. It must have been frightening to be so high up in a tree and come face to face with a human. I know I would have freaked out.

Most of our squirrels have gone into hibernation mode and we rarely glimpse one now. I miss their furry faces peering in my windows.


Alpaca Scarf...

I fiddled around with my one skein of alpaca for quite awhile, trying to find the perfect pattern to use with this luxury yarn. Finally I settled for the simplest scarf pattern. Here's what I did:

Cast on 28 stitches with 6mms (US10).
Row 1: Knit 3, *yo, K2 together, repeat from * to last 3 stitches, Knit 3.
Repeat Row 1 until you are almost finished the skein, then bind off.

Sometimes simple is best.



If you're curious about the stats on this ball of alpaca, here it is:
100% baby alpaca
50g/180m
suggested needle size 3 to 3.5mm


Our House...
Renovations are almost done on the hallway. Just a few touchups and we're ready for the flooring. I have no pictures this week. My camera is misbehaving intermittently. I accidentally knocked it off the counter recently but I'm sure that couldn't be the cause...


Sarah's hanging out with her new friend Kris Moose. We wish you a peaceful week. See you next Friday.








"If cats could talk, they wouldn't."
~Nan Porter