Friday, July 17, 2009

3am...

All the sneezing and coughing and nose-blowing must have cleared the cobwebs from my fuzzy brain because my first ‘feel better’ project was Smariek's 3AM Cable Hat


A friend found some red yarn for me at the local thrift shop and I just knew it had to be a hat. It’s mostly wool with a bit of nylon and very light, almost a sock yarn weight, just right for showing off cables…


This is my second 3AM cable hat. I knit one last year and had some difficulty following the pattern but this time it clicked. Cables are so magical, don’t you think? You knit 7 identical rows, dumdeedum…and then on the 8th row you twist a few stitches in a different arrangement and suddenly you have a cable…pure magic….


I followed the instructions for the DK weight size, except I cast on 96 sts. for the ribbing (on 4mms) and knit 3 full inches, then I added 12 sts. evenly spaced for the main body of the hat – total 108 sts. I made the ribbing tighter so it would give a better fit and not stretch out. I knit 5 full repeats (total 40 rows) plus the 18 rows of decrease. It fits my ginormous 23” head just fine and would fit a smaller head even better (excuse my sleepy sick-face)…


I can’t get enough of my 3am hat. I’m still amazed I was able to finish it without any mistakes. I love the colour and the fit and the feel of the wool and I just know someone at the shelter is going to love this hat as much as I do. I hope it gives them a warm hug and brings a smile to their face…


More peanuts please…


Deep blue…


Now I'm exhausted, so I’ll wish you a peaceful week, dear reader, and hope to see you next Friday. Take care.



”Learn to... be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.”
~Henri Frederic Amiel