Friday, May 04, 2007

Whiskers...

I am so lame in the knitting dept. these days. Let’s see how much entertainment value I can squeeze out of a scrappy dishcloth…

I have all these little bits & pieces of cotton left over from my cloths and even with knitting sideways placemats and feather & fan multi-colour crazy cloths, they still keep multiplying. So now I’ve created this little critter. I’m naming it the Whiskers Cloth because of those little whiskery tuffs of yarn sticking up on its face…



I pulled out a bunch of colour bits from my cotton stash, flung 38 sts. on my 4mm (US6) needles and gartered stitched (knit every row) for the length I wanted. When I had only a couple of inches left of one colour, I tied another length on – and double knotted to keep it secure – and kept on knitting.

After finishing off, I clipped the whiskers down to a quarter-to-half-inch length and there it was, my newest scrap user-upper…



It’s not completely freeform. I put all those tuffs on one side so there would be a smooth finish on the other side and I used the pieces that I cut off from the whiskers to make new whiskers in spots that were bare. Does that make any sense at all? I hope so.

here’s a close-up shot of the little tuffs…

I like the garter stitch finish and using a smaller-than-usual needle size gives a tighter gauge and a nicer feel. Isn’t it pretty? There’s no pretence to being knitterly correct, with all the yarn ends tucked neatly out of sight. This is your chance to flaunt those yarn bits proudly and rejoice in making a big fat knot right in the middle of your knitting project. I give you permission to do so.

Here's another one finished in shades of red and pink...


Once I got over the excitement of creating my Whiskers cloth, I started a pair of Tube Socks using the Regia Ringel Clown colourway. I love the pattern inside even more than the outside…


K captured this beautiful photo of a visiting goldfinch…



Bunnykins is sporting an ear bow in spring colours…




Well, that wasn’t too painful, was it? Just think of all the knowledge you have acquired on how to knit a piece of cotton. I’ll wish you a peaceful week and hope you’ll return next Friday for another thrilling installment.





“You were born an original. Don't die a copy.”
~John Mason