Friday, June 24, 2005

Oh My Aching Head...

That’s all I’ve been able to think about this week – the nonstop throbbing in my head. At times it felt as if my noodle was about to explode. Turns out I have a sinus infection AND an infected root canal. I’ve made several excursions to the dentist, doctor and massage therapist and I’ve had the first stage of a root canal procedure.

Anyhoo, to divert my attention from the pain I’ve been knitting up a number of easy projects, including some fat hats from free patterns on the net.

This H20 hat pattern used to be available at Bonne Marie Burns’ ChicKnits site but apparently she has taken it down due to copyright issues. That’s why when I see a pattern I like, I print it out or better yet, I copy and save it to a Word document. It’s frustrating to bookmark a pattern and return to it weeks or months later to find it has been removed. There are lots of other nifty free patterns for your knitting pleasure at the ChicKnits’ site. I’m going to try the Vanilla Bean Hat next.

The H20 hat is knit on 12mms (17US) with several strands of knitting worsted and takes just hours to finish. Very warm too. Here’s what it looked like on the needles:


and the finished object. It looks like the colour of mustard but that’s just a trick of the lighting:


Then, since my hands hadn’t gone numb yet from the 12mms, I decided to knit a Dulaan Hat from Stephanie’s blog, with a little improvising on my part. I didn’t like the i-cord top so I left it off.

I used 5 thin strands of wool and acrylic for this hat. Several times I had to stop and unravel a stitch back down several rows because I had missed one of the strands when knitting.


Sarah offered to help and the knitting went much smoother:


There’s more green in the finished item, but my camera didn’t see it that way:




Well, my friends, I'm about ready to keel over so we'll say goodbye for now. Let’s hope it’s a good week. See you next Friday.



Hope begins in the dark; the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.
~Anne Lamott